Skip to main content

Why you should know the meaning of your name?

It occurred to me today that some people don't know the meaning of their names and they don't think it's something that important to know the meaning of your name. Is that really something useless? We will dig some information today before jumping into conclusions :)



My first question is why do we have a name.. Simple answer, just coz we need to differentiate  a person from other people. Apart from that in many cultures around the world, religions play a main role behind names. Giving and receiving a name is considered as a major event in almost every culture around the world such as catholic baptismal ceremony.

In the "Meaning of religion" by F. Kristensen, it says that the name can also become something like a talisman. In some people believe that names can give certain characteristics to people (the meaning of my name is the beautiful one, wait a second..Am i beautiful then?) and in some cultures they believe giving ugly names to kids will ward off evil spirits.

After reading several comments on different forums, I can see that many people think that the meanings of names are really important and shaped their lives. And personally I too think that it has an impact on life. For an example Charlotte means strong woman. so every time she hears someone calling her name, it will remind her that she's named strong,and she should be strong..

What I think is, a name plays a major role in ones life. That's what represents me. The four or five letters which will introduce me to the unknown people. After all, whenever we go somewhere for the first time or meet someone for the first time isn't that what we say? Hi I'm Ruvi... that's how we start. So it's actually a big deal.What I believe is before doing anything, we should get to know ourselves. Once we know all about us, then only we can conquer the world. So you can start with your name. For the people who don't care meanings of names I have a question. Will you consider the meaning if you are going to name your baby?  Trust me.. You will.  :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to get 90+ for GCE A/L Chemistry paper..

Well  for most of the people doing A/Ls in science stream, chemistry is a nightmare, especially for physical science students. So today I'm going to tell you how to write to a chemistry paper in a much different way than you always do. Well it worked for me,and you should test this way with a model paper or in a term test before you go to exam.This saves time and also you can easily score 90+.

How to survive A/Ls in 3 months...

Today is the first of May and there are exactly three months until GCE A/L exams begin. I intend to help people who has realized this and started panicking and feeling lost, but not only A/L students but also any student with any upcoming exam can use these tips to ace your exam. I will first explain why most of us usually wait until the day before deadline to do stuff. It's explained by Parkinson's law which states that " Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". What it means is, if we are given a week to finish a task we will finish it within the week and if we are given an year to finish the same task we will spend the whole year doing it. Well that's how usually us, lazy humans work. Now that you know what happened there is no time to regret about how we procrastinated on unnecessary things etc. Now it's time to damage control. I will not gurantee you will get 3As by following these. (It's possible depending on

The Alfred House

As a person who lived in Colombo 03 and a student of the University of Colombo, I often came across Alfred House Gardens, Alfred House Road, Alfred House Avenue, Alfred Place signboards and wondered what is this Alfred House. And I always forgot to search until I started reading "Colombo" by Mohan Raj Madawala. As you all know I'm a bookworm and once I get my hands on a book I stop everything and start reading it. So while I was reading suddenly Alfred House popped up. I was like.. wait. Is this the same Alfred House we are talking about? So I immediately googled Alfred House... and boy there it is. So I was reading a book about Alfred House while I was in a land once belonged to Alfred House? (I read it while in the place I used to stay at Colombo 03) It felt so crazy to think about it at that moment. About 150 years ago it was the Alfred House garden. I started imagining flowers, fountains, gardeners working in the garden etc.. And all of a sudden I wanted to know