Skip to main content

How to survive A/Ls in 3 months...

Man, Student, College, School, Library


Today is the first of May and there are exactly three months until GCE A/L exams begin. I intend to help people who has realized this and started panicking and feeling lost, but not only A/L students but also any student with any upcoming exam can use these tips to ace your exam. I will first explain why most of us usually wait until the day before deadline to do stuff. It's explained by Parkinson's law which states that "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". What it means is, if we are given a week to finish a task we will finish it within the week and if we are given an year to finish the same task we will spend the whole year doing it. Well that's how usually us, lazy humans work. Now that you know what happened there is no time to regret about how we procrastinated on unnecessary things etc. Now it's time to damage control. I will not gurantee you will get 3As by following these. (It's possible depending on your current status.) But for a student with absolutely no idea and in a failing situation I know if you follow this you will end up getting a decent grade.
First of all do not panic. You have more than 90 days remaining. It's a lot of hours if you do the math and if you can manage that time efficiently, you will get a good grade. Now you will think I wasted 2 years because I have bad time management, so how can I not waste 90 days...? 😄 That is why I'm here to guide you. It is not easy, I must say. But it will be rewarding. Just trust me. 



First we need a WHY? Purpose facilitates action. We are naturally lazy people. So unless there is a good reason to put an effort to, we are not going to work. So take a moment to think WHY you have to do the exam.  It can be for a better future, to have your dream career, to make your parents proud or simply to fulfill the minimum educational qualification. Whatever the case is take a moment to remind yourself why this is important to you and why you have to go through all this for next three months. Also keep in mind that it's just three months and after that you are free.

There are three months and three subjects to survive right? But do not allocate time like month 1 is for subject 1, month 2 for subject 2. It is not going to work because at the end of month three you will not remember a thing about subject one or two. All three has to go in parallel to succeed this process. Now we all know the structure of the paper. For an example in Chemistry paper we have 2 physical chemistry questions, an organic question, inorganic question, industrial chemistry question etc. And out of those lessons there maybe questions you are good at and lessons you fail. So now it's time to be stratergic. First we have to focus on passing the paper. So pick some questions to get 35 marks. Do it for all three subjects. Now in a piece of paper write down the lessons you have to complete to pass all 3 subjects and when you master these lessons you are in a passing grade already. Now you ask how to manage the time.. 

Since you have proven to procrastinate alot,this time we have to make sure we will not do previous mistakes again. Therefore you have to avoid distractions as much as possible. Your study spot should be an isolated place. If it is your room make sure nobody interrupts you when you study and have everything you need in that room.. (A bottle of water, some snacks, all sorts of pens and pencils, books etc) So the only reason you have to go out of your room is for bathroom breaks. If noises are distracting you,you can always use white noise recordings that are available on youtube or some music. By music you cannot use songs, because those contain words and it will distract you. Use baroque music if you absolutely need music to study. 

So wakeup early in the morning around 6.30am and start studying around 7.00am. Out of the three there has to be a subject you like the most or lets say you hate the least.. Start with that subject and then move onto the subject you hate the most. First try to understand the concepts and then try doing some practice problems to confirm you have fully understood the concepts. Once you have successfully completed understanding a lesson you never thought you will master, that satisfaction will drive you to your victory. Trust me it will happen. For your brain to work at its best you have to stay hydrated and get a sleep of 7- 9 hours. And you must not eat junk food at all. Difficult right? But it will be rewarding..

I will talk about procrastination and how to not lose focus and keep working in my next A/L post. If any of you need my A/L Chemistry or Physics notes I can send scanned copies of the books available with me. So if any of you require those,email me, or contact me through Facebook. 😊

You can read all of my articles about GCE A/Ls by clicking HERE.

Now you can watch videos on my YouTube channel as well. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for the post...
    Can I know that you mentioned for organic "kabanika pariwarthana pahasuwen by w. P siyabalagoda" I've got that book. So, this time enough for to do that book at least twice... ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ofcourse. Time is more than enough. Actually it only takes one day to finish the whole book.. :)

      Delete
  2. Akki.... Can you tell me how to focus long hours for studies? Specially (biology) coz, it's soo fed up .. ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was writing about how to study for long hours this morning. I will complete it and publish in few hours..

      Delete
  3. hey dear ruvi akki, i actually am here to seek some advice from u..since you are an undergraduate and obviosly as someone who did ALs before us in math stream and also as an adult to me i hope u cld provide me some help=] i am a 2020 AL student and i obviously have a short period ahead but now i am not reaching my potential..i know if i worked hard in these 2 or 3 months i can indeed reach my goal but this thought of "i will take up the 2nd shy" "ill start doing everything properly in the 2nd shy from day one" are actually getting to me=[...these thoughts stops me from doing the max amount of work that i can do....................................i also dont wanna do exams again and these are indeed my procastination thoughts(im a procrastinator obv=[).........*so can you please tell me why an AL student should anyhow reach the goals at 1st shy or more like why you shouldnt do 2nd shy=[...maybe like disadvantages and how it'll affect the future* as im someone who can get things done at this shy but keeps procrastinating on my head.............................................i hope you will help me out in this THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME ..SORRY IF IM BOTHERING YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,yes its obviously your procrastination that's making you think like that. But you know about yourself. Will you actually work hard from day 1? We know that is not going to happen. Next year by this time you will be in the same position once again. A year in your life just wasted and you went through the same torture 1 more year.. If you do the first shy and achieve your dream you dont have to torture yourself for one more year. You work hard next 3 months. And then its done. After that you can do whatever you like. Travel watch movies, hangout with friends.. enjoy life. If you do a second shy whats more difficult is watching your 1st shy ppl do all those things and you still have to study.

      Moreover when you come to university you will see how difficult things are for older people in your same batch. When it comes to job they prefer people around 25. I have seen some 3rd shy people dropping out of uni or not choosing special degrees because of this problem. And finally why waste your time doing the same thing over and over again when you can do it right this time... Good luck my dear!!! Make your parents proud and start studying right now..! Don't worry. Once you start studying you will soon be in the rhythm. Like Ajahn Brahm says, starting is not the difficult task, thinking about staying is the most difficult task.

      Delete
    2. thank you so much for ur prompt reply....and yeah now i probably dont understand or feel how worthy is it to not to waste a year of my life but you certainly do understand the value of it for ones future..thanks again for explaining and this advice really means a lot to me! keep helping us;AL students=] and cheers for ur future akki!

      Delete
    3. Is it ok if I ask what you're doing now since you would have done the exams in 2020 itself

      Delete
    4. Hello! I did A/Ls in 2014 and currently doing my higher studies in France.
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCj4Iw8J9WyunN5cCrMRxyqg

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, can u pls say how to focus and study well during the last 3 months for the upcoming A/L exam in December 2022. I am a commerce student. I am getting worried a lot in that itself i am losing a lot of time. :(( . Even though there are only 3 more months for the exam i have no idea about the subjects ; Economics, BS and Accounting. so, how to build my self confidence level high and to get a high knowledge in these subjects. I am an average student only but i am not sure in that also ::(( . Atleast i need some decent gradings to go abroad and study.. so, can u pls recommend some suggestions for it pls...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nangi/Malli. I just saw your comment.
      https://youtu.be/SWBTI6R4qUs

      I think this video will help you. It's my YouTube channel and we discuss there the study methods we used for a.ls. Best of luck!

      Delete
  6. Hi Akki!. I'm doing my a/ls in three months. I'm very nervous because I'm homeschooled and I haven't even touched a single revision paper or done a paper yet. I was a weak student before so now I feel anxious everytime I try to do a paper. I worry I might not make it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to get 90+ for GCE A/L Chemistry paper..

Well  for most of the people doing A/Ls in science stream, chemistry is a nightmare, especially for physical science students. So today I'm going to tell you how to write to a chemistry paper in a much different way than you always do. Well it worked for me,and you should test this way with a model paper or in a term test before you go to exam.This saves time and also you can easily score 90+.

Good books for students studying for GCE A/L examination...

As we all know A/Ls is a very tough exam and you will not be able to finish it successfully by just studying.It needs practice,timing and all.So the best way to do it is do exercises and improve knowledge,i did A/Ls in physical science stream and in sinhala medium,so based on my experience i will recommend anyone to use following books.There may be books better than following list,but books below were used by me. Chemistry almost every book by hemachandra basnayaka Akabanika rasayanaya by Aruna Bandara (there are two books for inorganic chemistry,these books will help you in for the doubts you will have in doing mcqs) Akabanika rasayana pilibanda gunathmaka ha pramanathmaka wishleshanaya by Ranga gunarathna(this also will help you in mcqs) Organic chemistry by jayathilaka(this book is very good and it will help you to understand concepts in organic chemistry better) Physics Prof D.D.N balo dayas' books yanthra vidyawa by lakshaman dissanayaka(questionsin this book  are