Skip to main content

On her own ground...

Hello everyone, I hope you all are safe in quarantine during this hard time. First of all I wish you all good health, both mental and physical. To talk a bit of myself, I finally completed my degree in this February and I would like to thank everyone who helped me through out past few years. I was so busy finishing my undergraduate research which was nerve wrecking and hence could not write any new posts. So after a long break today I'm going to tell you about some wisdom I accidentally found while in quarantine. There is an island-wide curfew and I came to know that quarantine has no effect on my introvert life as I was always inside my room anyway.

Painting, Art, 1690S, Virginia, Family, Men, Women
When I was netflixing last night I came across this new mini series, Self Made which is inspired by Madam C.J. Walker. She is an African American entrepreneur, a philanthropist and a social activist. She is also the first female self made millionaire in America. She was born in Louisiana in 1867 and orphaned at age 7 and got married at age 14. The life she had was not easy. In her own words,

"I am a woman who came from the cotton fields of the South. From there I was promoted to the washtub. From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations. I have built my own factory on my own ground"  - Madam C.J. Walker

She worked her life very hard to survive as a "coloured woman" in America where the skintone decided where you belong and not for a once she stopped following her dreams. Especially at a time where women belonged to kitchen she stood up as a black woman to empower the female workforce and their confidence. Lighter skin tones were preferred over darker ones and she was constantly told about how bad she looks. Yet she managed to build her empire successfully and lead a good life helping others. I think you all should watch Self Made therefore I will not give any spoiler alerts here.

It reminded me of one of my experiences. I was told how disgusting I look and was compared all the time. I used to hate myself. I used to hate myself upto a point where I thought there is no point of being stuck in this worthless body anymore. And then one person had my back. They said " You are not ugly. Who say so? You just need some touch ups, and you will be fine." I worked hard for myself from that point onwards and I started feeling good about myself. Right now at this moment I'm a self confident happy person thanks to that one piece of advice a friend gave me and I am blessed to have good people in my life who always have my back. I think after all it is what our existence is about. To do good to people for no reason. You only get what you do to others. From the lessons I learned in my life the most important one is that skin colour, race, religion, financial status and education does not matter. What makes you happy is what you make others feel about you. Be kind. Compassionate and most importantly empathize. Have a nice Day!! Stay safe guys!! 



Comments

  1. Waited about six months for a new post. :)
    And you're a very inspiring character. **hats off**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Thank you and I'm glad that finally I was able to write a new post. I hope to continue writing as I'm free now.

      Delete
  2. I am also waiting for your new post about a/l coz this time we're haven't any clz due corona soo plzz make new post about how to manage our studies (a/l) with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear, Sure I will write. Please let me know if you have anymore suggestions. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah akkiii
    Can you tell me how many times should we practice past papers for each subjects? Coz I am 2nd students my 1 shy result css bt I want get Abc like that because then only I can reach my goal soo plzz put some motivation post about it and also plzz tell me how to schedule our time for each subjects (I'm biology student)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I just uploaded a post right now with answers to some of your questions :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to get 90+ for GCE A/L Chemistry paper..

Well  for most of the people doing A/Ls in science stream, chemistry is a nightmare, especially for physical science students. So today I'm going to tell you how to write to a chemistry paper in a much different way than you always do. Well it worked for me,and you should test this way with a model paper or in a term test before you go to exam.This saves time and also you can easily score 90+.

How to survive A/Ls in 3 months...

Today is the first of May and there are exactly three months until GCE A/L exams begin. I intend to help people who has realized this and started panicking and feeling lost, but not only A/L students but also any student with any upcoming exam can use these tips to ace your exam. I will first explain why most of us usually wait until the day before deadline to do stuff. It's explained by Parkinson's law which states that " Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". What it means is, if we are given a week to finish a task we will finish it within the week and if we are given an year to finish the same task we will spend the whole year doing it. Well that's how usually us, lazy humans work. Now that you know what happened there is no time to regret about how we procrastinated on unnecessary things etc. Now it's time to damage control. I will not gurantee you will get 3As by following these. (It's possible depending on

Good books for students studying for GCE A/L examination...

As we all know A/Ls is a very tough exam and you will not be able to finish it successfully by just studying.It needs practice,timing and all.So the best way to do it is do exercises and improve knowledge,i did A/Ls in physical science stream and in sinhala medium,so based on my experience i will recommend anyone to use following books.There may be books better than following list,but books below were used by me. Chemistry almost every book by hemachandra basnayaka Akabanika rasayanaya by Aruna Bandara (there are two books for inorganic chemistry,these books will help you in for the doubts you will have in doing mcqs) Akabanika rasayana pilibanda gunathmaka ha pramanathmaka wishleshanaya by Ranga gunarathna(this also will help you in mcqs) Organic chemistry by jayathilaka(this book is very good and it will help you to understand concepts in organic chemistry better) Physics Prof D.D.N balo dayas' books yanthra vidyawa by lakshaman dissanayaka(questionsin this book  are