Skip to main content

I interviewed a LINO 19 alumni...


Vindula Kumaranayake, an undergraduate student who is specializing in pure mathematics from  the University of Colombo participated to Lindau Nobel Laureate meetings this year. I also mentioned about it in a previous post. (Click HERE to read it.) I thought it will be important for future young scientists to have some knowledge and insight about LINOs and decided to interview him. Well I'm aware of conflict of interest and I will do my best not to be biased. 

Me: How did you get to know about Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings?

Vindula : Actually I saw it on Facebook. A friend I met at the Asian Science Camp (Omon Ochilov from Uzbekistan) had shared a post that was calling for applications for LINO 2018. It was dedicated for physiology and medicine. So in the next year I applied.

Me : So you are the first Sri Lankan to participate to the LINO. How do you feel about it?

Vindula : I'm happy about it, but it is just a personal victory for me. Because me being the first to be there for 69 years means we as Sri Lankans are not well cooperated with the scientific community.

Me : So what about the application process. And is this event free of charge?

Vindula : Even though the program looks free of charge there is a participation fee of 5000 Euros. Mine was paid by Continental AG. I will be forever grateful to them for offering me this fellowship. If you get selected to the program you don't need to worry about the fellowship. The organizing committee will set that up for you.

Me : I heard the selection process is very thorough and difficult to get selected. What do you think you had in your SOP that made you stand out from other applicants?

Vindula : Yeah actually the letter of motivation is critical in the application process because every applicant who decides to apply for this programme has performed academically really well. I mentioned how I grew up dreaming to be a scientist, and what I really want to achieve by doing science. Also a little bit of my way of thinking and approach of learning. 

Me : 69th LINO is dedicated to Physics. How many Nobel Laureates were there and what kind of topics were discussed?

Vindula : There were 39 Nobel Laureates and I think at least 25 of them were Nobel Physicists. The main fields were cosmology, gravitational physics and laser physics. But a wide range of physics and its relations to biology, material science and chemistry was also discussed.

Me : Other than the lectures what kind of activities you were able to participate to/

Vindula : There were panel discussions, agora talks, science walks, science breakfasts and science lunches with the Nobel Laureates.

Me : What is the exposure you got from Nobel Laureates and fellow young scientists?

Vindula : That was an amazing experience. Nobel Laureates were honest about their past, their approaches and their failures. The main lesson I learnt from them is that being unsuccessful in our attempts solve problems in science is usual and it's not a reason to get disappointed.

Me : What is your message to young scientists who are dreaming of applying to Lindau Nobel Laureate meetings?

Vindula : You need to start preparing at least an year before. Check and improve your essential qualifications. Write down your motivation towards science honestly. I think that is very important.

Me: I'm sure you had a wonderful time there. And you may have many people you want to thank?

Vindula : Yes indeed. First of all I would like to thank my mother and my father, also my girlfriend for being extremely supportive and tolerating me and being my strength in my early scientific career. Also Chamithri Weerakoon from Department of Physics (my ex lab partner). I will be forever grateful to the University lecturers and professors who worked hard to make this possible. (Vice chancellor, Dean of the Faculty of Science, Head of the Department of Mathematics and Dr. Jagath Wijerathne.)
I would like to thank Dr. W.M.K.P. Wijayarathne and Prof. S.R.D. Rosa for their immense support throughout the application process. 
I also would like to thank all the non academic staff who helped me and to everyone who supported me and gave me strength to achieve one of my dreams successfully.

Science walk with Emeritus Prof. Brian D. Josephson
Well I hope the interview was useful for you guys and if you have more questions or things I missed to ask from him comment down below. I will contact him and give answers. Have a nice day !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to get 90+ for GCE A/L Chemistry paper..

Well  for most of the people doing A/Ls in science stream, chemistry is a nightmare, especially for physical science students. So today I'm going to tell you how to write to a chemistry paper in a much different way than you always do. Well it worked for me,and you should test this way with a model paper or in a term test before you go to exam.This saves time and also you can easily score 90+.

How to survive A/Ls in 3 months...

Today is the first of May and there are exactly three months until GCE A/L exams begin. I intend to help people who has realized this and started panicking and feeling lost, but not only A/L students but also any student with any upcoming exam can use these tips to ace your exam. I will first explain why most of us usually wait until the day before deadline to do stuff. It's explained by Parkinson's law which states that " Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". What it means is, if we are given a week to finish a task we will finish it within the week and if we are given an year to finish the same task we will spend the whole year doing it. Well that's how usually us, lazy humans work. Now that you know what happened there is no time to regret about how we procrastinated on unnecessary things etc. Now it's time to damage control. I will not gurantee you will get 3As by following these. (It's possible depending on

Good books for students studying for GCE A/L examination...

As we all know A/Ls is a very tough exam and you will not be able to finish it successfully by just studying.It needs practice,timing and all.So the best way to do it is do exercises and improve knowledge,i did A/Ls in physical science stream and in sinhala medium,so based on my experience i will recommend anyone to use following books.There may be books better than following list,but books below were used by me. Chemistry almost every book by hemachandra basnayaka Akabanika rasayanaya by Aruna Bandara (there are two books for inorganic chemistry,these books will help you in for the doubts you will have in doing mcqs) Akabanika rasayana pilibanda gunathmaka ha pramanathmaka wishleshanaya by Ranga gunarathna(this also will help you in mcqs) Organic chemistry by jayathilaka(this book is very good and it will help you to understand concepts in organic chemistry better) Physics Prof D.D.N balo dayas' books yanthra vidyawa by lakshaman dissanayaka(questionsin this book  are