Skip to main content

One day Plastic FREE challenge


So I signed up for the one day plastic free challenge by WAKEcup. The challenge is to go 24 hours without purchasing or using any single use coffee cups, water bottles, food packaging, straws or bags. If you are interested you can also sign up by clicking HERE. And make sure you tag @globalWAKEcup and #1dayplasticfree when you are posting on social media about it.
I mentioned about the use of polythene in an article I wrote 4 years back(click HERE to read) also. Since I do not use plastic much anyway, it was pretty easy for me. But most of the food we consume comes wrapped in polythene and plastics so I had to avoid consuming such food today. So in the morning I had a tea and headed into the garden to see what I can use for breakfast. I made myself a sandwich using freshly plucked tomatoes from garden, cheddar cheese and onions and wanted to wrap it to take it to the study area. Of course I cannot use any polythene therefore I used the traditional sri lankan Banana leaf to wrap it. 

In Sri Lanka Banana leaves are used as a substitute to  polythene wraps. First cut a banana leave (about 2 feet in length) and wash it well. And then slide it over fire.. Now you can use it to wrap food.Generally it's used to make packets of rice and curries, but I used it for a sandwich anyway. 

A sandwich wrapped in a Banana Leaf
                                                 
 
                                               My tea in a porcelain cup
For lunch I had a Brinjal Moju made from veggies in my garden, a Chinese Chop Suey, sauce and rice. Again it was wrapped in a Banana leaf.



All the other vegetables used today were obtained from the local marketplace and the eco friendly reusable bag below was used in shopping. 

Keells Eco friendly Bag

And then I had this piece of cake which was bought from a nearby bakery with tea and it was placed in a cardboard box.


For dinner we made dosai and side dishes to go with it.




One day plastic free challenge was a success. If we forget about that giant piece of cake, I can say I had a pretty healthy and a vegan diet too. (I am a vegetarian anyway). So I completed the #1dayplasticfree challenge by @globalWakecup. And now its your turn. Are you READY?










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to get 90+ for GCE A/L Chemistry paper..

Well  for most of the people doing A/Ls in science stream, chemistry is a nightmare, especially for physical science students. So today I'm going to tell you how to write to a chemistry paper in a much different way than you always do. Well it worked for me,and you should test this way with a model paper or in a term test before you go to exam.This saves time and also you can easily score 90+.

How to survive A/Ls in 3 months...

Today is the first of May and there are exactly three months until GCE A/L exams begin. I intend to help people who has realized this and started panicking and feeling lost, but not only A/L students but also any student with any upcoming exam can use these tips to ace your exam. I will first explain why most of us usually wait until the day before deadline to do stuff. It's explained by Parkinson's law which states that " Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". What it means is, if we are given a week to finish a task we will finish it within the week and if we are given an year to finish the same task we will spend the whole year doing it. Well that's how usually us, lazy humans work. Now that you know what happened there is no time to regret about how we procrastinated on unnecessary things etc. Now it's time to damage control. I will not gurantee you will get 3As by following these. (It's possible depending on

Good books for students studying for GCE A/L examination...

As we all know A/Ls is a very tough exam and you will not be able to finish it successfully by just studying.It needs practice,timing and all.So the best way to do it is do exercises and improve knowledge,i did A/Ls in physical science stream and in sinhala medium,so based on my experience i will recommend anyone to use following books.There may be books better than following list,but books below were used by me. Chemistry almost every book by hemachandra basnayaka Akabanika rasayanaya by Aruna Bandara (there are two books for inorganic chemistry,these books will help you in for the doubts you will have in doing mcqs) Akabanika rasayana pilibanda gunathmaka ha pramanathmaka wishleshanaya by Ranga gunarathna(this also will help you in mcqs) Organic chemistry by jayathilaka(this book is very good and it will help you to understand concepts in organic chemistry better) Physics Prof D.D.N balo dayas' books yanthra vidyawa by lakshaman dissanayaka(questionsin this book  are